1. Matty Hayden, 650+ runs at 73+ and at more than a run a ball, he virtually gave Australia the momentum or got them into the tournament. No contenders.
2. Sanath Jayasuriya, 467 runs, 2 centuries, 2 fifties. Not a great tournament with the ball but the only other opening option I considered was Gilchrist.
3. Ricky Ponting, (Captain) , Because…
4. Mahela Jayewardhene, At 548 runs, the tournament’s second highest scorer, but more than anything else for that wonderful 115 in the semifinal.
5. Kevin Pietersen, A bit of a surprise maybe. But I like the guys attitude. He’s performed now against different and formidable opposition in varying conditions and with 2 centuries and 3 fifties making up 444 runs, makes the cut for me.
6. Scott Styris, Never particularly fancied the guy, but he’s done well his world cup and at nearly 400 runs to show for it and a bowling option to add, he makes it ahead of Michael Clarke for me.
7. Kumar Sangakarra , Yes, he got less runs than Gilly did and no, he cant play the a 149 kind of knock in a World Cup final but just for the presence of mind of that reflex Lara stumping (which ICC wont allow on youtube) or that Sehwag dismissal) Sangakarra is, in my view an outstanding cricketer and the one I would rather have in my team.
8. Nathan Bracken, Awesome performance – did anyone miss someone called Brett Lee ?
9. Lasith Malinga, Its not the 18 wickets that surprise me, its the 15.77 average that does. Even yday during teh aussie onslaught he didnt look lost … Well done…
10. Murali, Because when you play agst a team which has him, you have to think of plan B.
11. Glen Mcgrath, Player of the tournament in his final appearance on a cricket field. 28 wickets at 13.73 and a strike rate of 18.6. Ooh Aah….
Thoughts Welcome. (based purely on wc2007)
p.s. I did consider having Andrew Flintoff as a bowler who cud bat (ahem) in at 8 instead of Bracken but his WC performance didnt deserve it. Conversely I thot, this team would win and would go out celebrating , so Andrew Flintoff is my handy 12th Man.